The values of the TICK and ROE Bars charts for an instrument need to be updated as the instrument’s volatility expands and contracts. As market volatility can change rapidly from one day to the next, I’ve found it best to update these values at least once every two weeks, but preferably once per week. To make this process easier for you, I’ve created a Google Sheet that you can either copy or download and then use the Timeframe Tuner to update one number per instrument to spit out the updated values for the four charts you’ll need update. It’s a very simple and quick process, so you should get in the habit of doing this as part of your weekly ritual before or after trading.
*Note: Please refer to the video below to see an example of this entire process, including all the steps on this page from start to finish.
Run the Timeframe Tuner for Each Instrument You Want to Update
- Open the Timeframe Tuner, select the appropriate ‘Instrument List,’ and set the desired ‘Instrument.’
- Set the instrument’s associated ‘Trading Hours’ session template (found in row 2 in the sheet below).
- Set the ‘Target Minute Period’ with the associated instrument’s value in row 4.
- Make sure the ‘Session Selection’ is set to ‘Lookback’ mode in the Timeframe Tuner.
- Set the ‘Lookback’ value according to the associated instrument’s value in row 3. *Note: A value of 7 sessions/days is standard, but if you have trouble with tick data availability, set it to 5. When using Kinetick or IQ Feed, only about the past five sessions’ worth of tick data can be downloaded between 8:30 AM and 5:00 PM Central Time. If you want to use a lookback greater than 5, you may have to wait until after 5:00 PM Central or early the following morning before 8:30 AM.
- Click ‘Calculate’ to crunch the numbers.
Update the Values in the Chart Settings Table
If you haven’t done so already, download or make a copy of the Google Sheet embedded below.
- Find the instrument you wish to update in the Google Sheet below. There are three different tabs for a total of 25 instruments. If yours is not in this sheet, you can copy one of the instrument columns and paste it within your sheet copy to build your custom version.
- Copy the value in the ‘Avg. Ticks Per Bar [Target]’ field from the Timeframe Tuner and paste it into the ‘Target Ticks’ cell (row 6 in red) within the associated instrument’s column.
- Find the RTH (4) chart [MIN (4) for instruments without RTH (4)] for the instrument you’re updating. Update the ‘AverageRange RTH (4)’ value (row 6) with the latest AverageRange(100) value – the middle value in the top right corner of the RTH (4) chart.
- Update your workspaces’ chart values for ROE (1), ROE (2), TICK (1), and TICK (2).
Here’s a short video example:
- Don’t forget to make a copy of the Google Sheet below, or download it in XLSX format and open it in Excel. Mind the three different tabs at the bottom of the sheet.
- You can open this Google Sheet in a different tab by clicking THIS LINK